Aesthetics in the Age of Environmental Crises
3-5 June 2021, Online/Lahti, Finland
Sessions 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18
All times in the program are in East European Summer Time (Helsinki, EEST, UTC +3).
The full conference program can be downloaded from here.
Thursday, June 3
11:00–12:00 Session 2, Panel 2: Landscapes in the Age of Environmental Crises
- Galina Kallio: Aesthetics of (re)production: tracing human-soil relations in Northern landscapes of regenerative agriculture
- Connell Vaughan: Lessons from the Picturesque, from Gilpin to Instagram
- Rudi van Etteger: Ruination Rather than Erasure as a Model for the East Coast of the US
13:30–14:30 Session 4
- Neli Dobreva: Acting Art and Climate Crises Challenging the Environmental Aesthetics
- Laura Dequal: The Denaturalization of Nature. Hegel, Art, and the Environmental Aesthetics
15:00–16:00 Session 6
- Alejandro Pedregal and Jaime Vindel: Fossil Aesthetics: Eco-Marxism and Ecological Aesthetics in the Face of the Dispute of Modernity
- Thomas Heyd: Aesthetics, Climate Change and Prehistoric Art, with the speaker in attendance in the 18:30-19:00 ‘Free Discussion’ slot
Friday, June 4
10:30–12:00 Session 8
- CANCELLED: Daniela Matysová: Ethical Demand of the Beautiful World
- Corinna Casi: Decolonizing Environmental Ethics: Rebalancing the Values Distribution of Nature
- Tereza Špinková: Can We Give Them a Voice?
13:30–14:30 Session 10
- Marcello Ruta: End of the World versus End of the Month: The Environmental Discourse Between Ethics and Aesthetics
- Matthew Rowe: Evolutionary Cognitivism in the Aesthetics of Nature
15:00–16:00 Session 12
- Beata Frydryczak & Mateusz Salwa: The Sublime, Now! The Nature, Pandemic Landscapes and the Crises of the Environment
- Ghoncheh Azadeh: The Phenomenal Sublime
17:30–18:30 Session 14
- Aaron M. Ellison & Eric Zeigler: Towards a Non-Anthropocentric Aesthetics of Environmental Balance and Change
- M. Joseph Aloi II: Nonanthropocentrism in the Anthropocene: Participation in the Epochal Play of Nature
Saturday, June 5
10:30–12:00 Session 16
- Anna Petersson & Mattias Kärrholm: Environmental Nostalgia and Everyday Aesthetics
- Paulina Prieto de la Fuente & Sandra Kopljar: The Sustainability Reward–What Does it Take to Undo Climate Ethical Decisions in Everyday Life?
- Šárka Lojdová: Why is One Blind to the Climate Crisis?
13:30–14:30 Session 18
- Gioia Laura Iannilli: Environmental Tension in Aesthetics: Crisis, Change, and Sustainability Between an “Aesthetics of the Environment” and an “Environmental Aesthetics”
- Remei Capdevila-Werning: The Pedra Tosca Park: Landscape Preservation and Intergenerational Aesthetics